Thursday, February 16, 2023

Inspiration

Hello all! I think I got my idea for the project... I believe I want to go with the early 2000s comedy because its quirky and a fan favorite. I could have an older soundtrack (or maybe even make my own?) and edit/shoot in a very early 2000s way. Some movies I am using as inspiration are:

  • She's The Man (2006) 
  • What a Girl Wants (2003)
  • A Cinderella Story (2004)
  • 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)
  • How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)
  • Princess Diaries (2001)
  • Hitch (2005)
  • Made of Honor (2008)


I included the links for the trailers on YouTube below. I tried to include two trailers because I wanted to be able to compare them since I need to film 2 trailers for the project. 


She's The Man (trailer 1)

She's The Man (trailer 2)


One of the first things I noticed while watching these trailers was the voice over. The first trailer had a lot of mid shots, cursive and fancy fonts when displaying the female characters' names and bold print fonts for the male characters'.  I also noticed that when it came down to displaying the actors' names, the first name was in white while the last name was in yellow bold font. 

Both trailers ultimately had the same opening scenes but then once that scenes finishes the content changes; only a few scenes are repeated throughout both trailers. The first trailer is more family-oriented while the second trailer is more athletic-driven and "girl power". The fonts in the title screen are also very different. The colors schemes are fairly similar, it's just different fonts. 


What a Girl Wants (trailer 1)

What a Girl Wants (trailer 2)


While watching the first trailer, it was obvious that the voiceover continues throughout both movies (making it a genre characteristic). There's a lot of fast forwarded shots and it's mostly edited in a fun, quirky way. I noticed a few fade outs and thin, yellow cursive-like font when displaying Warner Brother Pictures as well as the name of the movie. I was surprised that when saying the actors' names, their name did not come up on the screen. There was also film after the title came up which is important to note since I will likely choose to do as well.

The second trailer starts in the main characters' voice as a first person point of view narration showing different scenes zooming into her face. The music is very dramatic and goes well with the voiceover. The same font is used for the Warner Brothers Studio however this time the names of the actors show up immediately after in the same font.


A Cinderella Story (trailer 1)

A Cinderella Story (trailer 2)


The voiceover in this trailer is a lot deeper than the rest. I noticed a bunch of foley sounds used. The pop music continues even when the voiceover is present. There's very poppy fonts used and there was no film after the title screen which was different from the past 2 movie trailers I've viewed. 

This trailer is very poor quality but you can still view the trailer so it's fine. I noticed a lot of tracking shots in the beginning between the two main characters. There's also fast forward edited shots which is consistent with the last trailer. The text for the actors' names are dependent on the gender (blue for Chad and pink for Hillary). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Distribution Project!

 The project is finally here! I hope you enjoy!  He Was A Skater Boi Distribution Project Folder (Google Drive) He Was A Skater Boi (Trailer...